How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8/kali/ubuntu
How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8
UEFI is nothing new but it is first time introduced in Windows 8. If you want to install a clean copy of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 on a UEFI enabled computer, you will need a UEFI bootable USB flash drive to start with. This is a tutorial to show you how to make such flash drive with and without the help of 3rd party tool.
Option 1: the manual process
1. Connect the USB flash drive to your computer, of course.
2. Open Command Prompt with Admin rights. Press Win+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
3. Type diskpart to start the diskpart built-in utility. And type list disk and make the note of the disk # for the USB drive.
4. Type in the following command to properly format the flash drive. Replace # with the actual # you got from step 3 above.
select disk #
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
5. Now close the Command Prompt window, and open File Explorer, browser through to the location where saves the Windows 8 installation ISO image file.
6. Mount ISO file by right-clicking the ISO file and choosing Mount. If you don’t see Mount command from the context menu, go to Open With → Windows Explorer instead.
7. Select everything in the ISO file, and copy them into the formatted USB flash drive you prepared earlier (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – copying ISO content to USB flash drive
8. One more extra step if you are preparing for a 64-bit version of installation. You will need to copy a file called bootmgfw.efi from inside install.wim file at sources folder to efi\bootfolder on USB flash drive, and rename it to bootx64.efi. Sounds tedious, isn’t it? So let’s put an easy way, you can simply download this file (direct download link) and copy to your efi\boot folder.
That’s it. Now, you can boot off from this USB flash drive and start the fresh clean installation. If for some reason it doesn’t work, move to:
Option 2: a tool comes to rescue
Rufus, one of the 4 tools we mentioned to build bootable USB flash drive, is a small utility that creates bootable USB flash drive for Windows 7 or 8. What makes Rufus different is that it offers 3 different partition scheme to target the system type, such as those UEFI based computers. You can make a bootable drive that can directly boot off on a UEFI computer without turning the Secure Boot off. It’s free and portable.
To make a UEFI bootable USB drive,
1. Plug in your USB flash drive, of course.
2. Launch the program. Since it’s portable, you can simply just download and run it.
3. Check the option “Create a bootable disk using: ISO Image“, and click the icon next to it to pick up the ISO image file.
4. Select “GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer“.
Before you click Start button, check to make sure the settings are selected to similar like Figure 2.
Figure 2 – Rufus settings
5. Click Start, and sit back.
That’s it. Hopefully it will help you out this UEFI mystery.
Welcome to The Hidden WikiNew hidden wiki url 2015 http://zqktlwi4fecvo6ri.onion Add it to bookmarks and spread it!!! Editor's picks
Bored? Pick a random page from the article index and replace one of these slots with it.
The Matrix - Very nice to read.
How to Exit the Matrix - Learn how to Protect yourself and your rights, online and off.
Verifying PGP signatures - A short and simple how-to guide.
In Praise Of Hawala - Anonymous informal value transfer system.
Here are five different things that you can help us out with.
Plunder other hidden service lists for links and place them here!
File the SnapBBSIndex links wherever they go.
Set external links to HTTPS where available, good certificate, and same content.
Care to start recording onionland's history? Check out Onionland's Museum Perform Dead Services Duties.
Introduction PointsAhmia.fi - Clearnet search engine for Tor Hidden Services (allows you to add new sites to its database).
DuckDuckGo - A Hidden S…
[SOLVED] IDM WAS REGISTERED WITH A FAKE SERIAL NUMBER Good News [May 08, 2015]: IDM developers got smarter, but the crackers are always a step ahead. Follow this article and send an email to [email protected] if you are desperate. I can NOT post any crack here for legal reasons. Happy Downloading with IDM. ;)
first tip is to use latest crack for idm from onhax.net idm universal web crack and make sure u are using all latest vers
I am sure many of us are too much dependent on Internet Download Manager a.k.a. IDM. The main reason didn’t permanently switch to linux was IDM. I mainly use it for batch downloading and download streaming videos.
Till yesterday, IDM was working fine with me (of course with fake serial numbers, keygen, crack, patch etc. which could be found with little effort).
But few days ago, with the latest update version 6.18 build 7 (released on Nov 09, 2013) Internet Download Manager was literally had a breakthrough and crushed all the serial numbers, …